CENTRAL LONDON, UK
The present, and third, Freemasons' Hall was built 1927-1933, by voluntary subscriptions, as a memorial to those who gave their lives in the First World War. It replaced an earlier building as shown in the lower print.
When the new hall was built, for some reason the centre and right hand bays of the old hall were replaced but the left hand bay remains, as can be seen in the upper photograph. The decoration on the new building, which can be seen on the right of the upper photograph, seems to peter out, as if the plan had originally been to replace the remains of the older building (on the left) at some later date.
Return to the Home Page